Burnt Sugar Cake :: Double Caramel Cake

Today is Tuesday and I was planning to bake the All-in-One-Holiday Bundt Cake for TWD. I figured if I got it posted by midnight that was better than nothin'. It's been a busy few days. But then I browsed the ingredients list and realized that I used the last of the pumpkin in the soup bubbling away on the stove for dinner. Bummer. I even went to the store today.

So instead I'm posting the Burnt Sugar Cake I made on Friday afternoon for my Granny's 83rd birthday. It traveled in the car, and sat out in the backseat while I made a shopping pit stop, and arrived after seven hours a little worse for the ride. It was still delicious, the icing was just a little...sparse on top and heavy at the bottom.


The Burnt Sugar Cake is from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott. When I told people what kind I was making, I added - it's a double caramel cake, caramel cake with caramel icing. The secret is in the caramel (water + sugar) that is made first and then goes into the cake batter and the icing. I'll have to make it again when it's not going moblie.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Oooh - that sure looks good. Even after a 7 hour ride.

Amanda said...

Well it certainly looks good! You'll love the holiday bundt when you get to make it :)

Hindy said...

A double caramel cake? Wow. That sounds delicious. And it looks lovely!

Flourchild said...

Happy Birthday to your Grandma.:) How sweet of you to make her such a great cake. It looks and sounds really good!

Pamela said...

How nice of you to bake and take the cake for your Granny. Looks good to me, and I'm sure she appreciated it.

Jacque said...

Oooh, yummy! it sounds positively sinful.

I'll bet your gram loved it.