twd: Mrs. Vogel's Scherben

These lovely little fried dough straws could also been called "Funnel Cake Cookies."

There are super easy, except for the part where I dodge flying specks of hot oil while dropping in the dough. But hey, it keeps things interesting.

I'm surprised these aren't sold at fairs, in little paper cones as an alternative to the whole tangled funnel cake. My cookies weren't that sweet. I think my "large pinch of sugar" should have been a little bit bigger. So I made up for it with the cinnamon sugar and powedered sugar added afterward. It seems like a recipe that gets better the more you make it, and get a feel for proper amounts of flour and sugar and salt. That's basically all it is. Yet somehow, when it's fried, it's delicious.

I love fried dough things. I think we need a specific word in English, like freigh or frode. Or doughfries. Or doufies. Or perhaps it's better not to.

9 comments:

Pamela said...

I didn't bake along this week because fried dough seemed to dangerous to my healthy eating habits. But they look pretty darned good!

Teanna said...

Haha! I kind of like doughfries! I'm so glad you liked these! Thanks for frying along with me this week!

erin said...

I stumbled upon your blog through my rss feed and I just wanted to say your cookies look great! Plus, I think you are right, we need an English word for these!

Mimi said...

They look perfect! Glad that you enjoyed them. They kind of grow on you, you eat one and need another ...
Mimi

Hindy said...

Your scherben look lovely! I agreed - are they worth the effort? Maybe once in a while.

spike. said...

I was confused by the large pinch too- don't think mine was big enough!

Anonymous said...

They look great! I chickened out on the deep frying, but they baked nicely. These would definitely be easier to eat at a fair than a funnel cake!

mike said...

How creative! Perfect name! And yes, and English name would be good - something short, crunchy and sweet. These look terrific!

shortbreadsouth said...

You're right, they are not sweet so a lot of cinnamon & sugar was in order!