Teriyaki Tofu and Vegetables

I'm going to try to use more tofu in my cooking. Why? Because I like it a lot, and there's no reason not to except that it's a little intimidating. It never quite measures up to the tofu I have in restaurants, especially in my favorite Thai and Chinese restaurants. Do they deep fry it? Because I can't quite do that at home - I can never knowingly use that much oil for consumption though I happily chow down on the same thing in a restaurant...just one of those things.

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon agave syrup
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp ginger
1 Thai pepper, minus most of the seeds
1 package firm tofu
1/4 cup diced pineapple

Directions:

Drain tofu well, pressing between paper towels. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
Mix first five ingredients in a bowl. Beware of the pepper seeds!
Add the tofu, cover, and marinate over night.
Add one tablespoon of oil to a stir fry pan and add veggies. Cook for about five minutes until the veggies begin to get tender and add pineapple.
Cook another few minutes and add tofu. In the future, I'll probably pan fry the tofu separately, until nicely browned.


No comments: