Spaghetti Squash


I love the idea of spaghetti squash. It offers the comfort of a big bowl of hot pasta on a cold day. 
The last time I tried to make it I battled with the squash, first to cut it in half, and then to get it cooked through. It felt like it took all day to make. That was about five years ago. 

I decided it was time to take another go at it. I picked out the smallest spaghetti squash at the farmer's market. I picked out my sharpest butcher knife and went at it, chopping it in half, cleaning out the seeds and then cutting it in chucks about three inches by three inches. I put these in a pot with water covering the bottom so that wouldn't stick and turned on the heat to a boil. After about fifteen minutes, I checked and they were starting to get soft. I carefully took out each piece and cute away the peeling, which was super easy. I put the squash back over the heat and cooked until down. You end up with shorter "noodles" but it's so easy I'll definitely do it again.

For the sauce, I added a can of diced tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, Chinese five-spice, fresh spinach, salt, and pepper to the cooked squash and cooked for an additional ten minutes. Serving it, I added a dusting of Parmesan cheese. This was so good and filling while low on calories and fat. 

No comments: