Buckwheat Porridge


I work with two women who grew up in the former Soviet Union. One day at lunch, they talked about having buckwheat as children. Made into a porridge, it was the quintessential kids' breakfast throughout the bloc.

I love oatmeal and hot breakfast cereals so I had to give it a try. I put the groats in a saucepan and lightly toasted. Then I added water and salt, brought it to a boil, and cooked until soft. Then I added cinnamon, dried cranberries, a few almonds, and a little agave.

It was really good and really filling. Perfect for the winter. Surprisingly, buckwheat isn't a grain at all; it's a seed related to rhubarb and sorrel, which means it is gluten-free.

It's also scores pretty high on the healthy scale having lots of amino acids and having a positive impact on cholesterol. It sounds like I need to eat more buckwheat porridge in the new year!

 


No comments: