Black lentils and ripe plantains


I love quick meals that I can fix after work. Let's face it, if it has a lot of prep or takes a long time to cook, my stomach usually won't let me wait long enough to make it. I usually go to the gym after work, unless I have to work late, which is really too often.  Either way I walk in the door famished!

I also love ripe plantains! They are sweet, cheap, and quick, a magical trio. This dish took a total of about 20 minutes from start to finish. I used a just ripe plantain. The skin is still mostly yellow with a motley crew of black spots. I don't measure out the ingredients so add more or less depending on your taste or to increase the serving size. The below makes two servings.

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add 1/4 onion, chopped.
While the onion is cooking, chop one just ripe plantain into bite size pieces.
Add the plantain to the pan.
Let the mixture cook for a few minutes, stirring and flipping the plantain occasionally, until it starts to deepen in color and get shiny. This will take about 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat if the plantain starts browning or the oil stars smoking.
Chop half of a red bell pepper into bite size pieces and add to the pan.
Add salt, pepper, and ground ginger to taste. I added 1/2 tsp of ginger.
Let cook for another few minutes, stirring frequently, until the pepper is a little shiny. It will not be sautéed completely but will remain crisp and crunchy.
Add 1/2 cup cooked black lentils. I used Trader Joes lentils. These things are good and hassle-free.
Continue cooking until the lentils are hot.
Dish up and enjoy!



No comments: