My plain cupcakes look a little like mushrooms. I molded them by pinching the base, but I think a tool would help a lot. I experimented with white and dark chocolate and caramel to cover the cakes. For the carrot cake, the white chocolate was definitley the best. It also formed the nicest coating.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Add dry ingredients.
- Combine carrots, coconut, and pineapple. Add carrot mixture to batter and fold in.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350^ F.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
After the cake is baked, cool completely. I put mine in the refrigerator. Then crumble the cake in a large bowl and add the frosting. Mix until well combined. Chill for at least one hour, or until ready to mold into balls or cupcakes. I made round balls and then pinched the bottoms to form bases. I dipped the bases in the white chocolate first and laid them bottoms up to dry. Then I dipped the other side in a different color. I wasn't too neat with the white chocolate and it got a little messy. But messy kitchens are fun kitchens and they still looked cute enough to eat.