TwD: HONEY PEACH ICE CREAM

This ice cream rocks! Thanks to Tommi at Brown Interior for this week's awesome pick! Just in time for the summertime heat down here in Miami. I used good ol' Georgia peaches and clover honey. I love ice cream but have rarely made my own. My family makes it every July 4th, whipping out the ice cream machine and boxes of rock salt once a year to make a monstrous tub of homemade vanilla ice cream. A few times additional flavors have been added to match our favorites of the summer, toasted coconut and peaches are the ones I remember. We always try to eat as much as possible the first day - through brain freeze and all - when it's still sitting in the ice cream maker. After it hits the freezer, it's never as good.
I'm definitely looking forward to the ice cream in a couple of weeks! Yet, the large machine, the rock salt, the noise and monitoring so it doesn't catch, is quite an undertaking. I'm going to start searching for a lovely, little, hassle-free ice cream maker. In the meantime, I took a cue from Clothide's Chocolate and Zucchini for those sans ice cream makers. I made the recipe as directed, and then put it in the freezer, stirring about every hour or so. The ice cream will begin to freeze from the outside in, so the periodic stirring allows it to freeze more evenly. And it worked! The texture wasn't weird at all. Just creamy dreamy.

I'm surprised I liked the honey taste as much as I did. I'm more of a purist when it comes to fruit ice creams. This was divine though. I halved the recipe and boiled all the peaches in the honey (because I didn't read far enough ahead in the recipe). Next time (and there will definitely be a next time), I'll try just half in the honey and half added plain later. I'm hoping this will allow the peaches to stand alone in taste and mingle with the honey.

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I'm just gonna stick with chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Your Honey Peach Ice Cream looks fantastic! I love how you can see all the peaches in the ice cream! Kudos for making it without an ice cream maker!!

Hindy said...

Wow. You have the best-looking ice cream I've seen on the blogs. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was a success. It looks great!

Megan said...

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at the honey flavor. It wasn't too strong at all.

Congrats on making it without an ice cream maker.

Jules Someone said...

I'm usually not a fan of honey either, but in this it worked. Yours looks amazing!