twd Dulce de Leche Duos

These take me back to Miami, where I lived for couple of years in South Beach loving the water, sun, and Cuban food!

My favorite cookies were a sandwich cookie with dulce de leche in the middle, and then rolled in coconut. The caramel on the side just picking of the coconut shreds. Lovely! The only downside was that they could be a little dry.

Not with Dorie's Duos, which have dulce de leche in the batter. I used half white, half whole wheat flour, and it worked really well.
The recipe calls for store bought dulce de leche, but I decided to make it. I used sweetened condensed milk and added salt and cinnamon. I put it in a double boiler and heated and stirred and heated and stirred. After about 30 minutes it still hadn't boiled. So I dumped it in a pan, and as soon as it hit the bottom, it started burning, bad. I grabbed the milk and baking soda and dumped it in, remembering a caramel recipe for New Orlenas pralines. I transferred it back to the double boiler and continued. It turned a pretty brown, and it was done. I tasted...burnt. Again, very burnt.

Dulce de leche 1, me 0.

Pop another can of milk. This time I kept it in the double boiler for over an hour. Sweet perfection!

These were actually worth all the trouble. I'm definitely making again, though I might wait for a special occasion.
Thanks to Jodie of Beansy Love Cakes for this week's pick!

11 comments:

Jodie said...

You're brave to make it yourself! I've only made it in the oven in a water bath. It takes about 3 hours! Thanks for baking with me! Your cookie look great!

Tia said...

yours look great! rolled in coconut, awesome idea. try doing DDL in the slow cooker sometime, i'm in love with that method now, as posted on my blog:

http://buttercreambarbie.blogspot.com

Teanna said...

Oh cool! Rolled in coconut! That sounds awesome! Your cookies look beautiful!

Katrina said...

Wow, your cookies are thick! Must have been the whole wheat.
Way to make your own ddl!
I think these greatly benefited from some chocolate, but rolled in coconut sounds really good!

Anne said...

I love the addition of whole wheat flour- yum! Those look great!

Anonymous said...

They look great! Coconut sounds like it would be really good with these. I used David Lebovitz's oven method for the dulce de leche and it worked really well.

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm jealous that you thought of using coconut! Don't worry about the dulce de leche, it takes hours for it to tan, but your cookies look great!

Leslie said...

Yummy! They look fabulous!

TeaLady said...

How'd you get those last ones so beautifully puffy?? I may have to try that coconut variation. Even better.

CB said...

Oooh I should try to sub some whole wheat flour too. Great tip! Maybe it will make me feel less guilty about eating all 30 cookie sandwiches ;)
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Pen Pen said...

For just a second, I thought these were some new kind of French Macaroon. :)
The Dulce de Leche sounds DIVINE!