Homemade Clif Bars




There are so many ways to make these. I'm ready to try all kinds of combinations after my first batch. The basic recipe is:

1 1/4 cups cereal (puffed, like rice krispies, I used Kashi's 7 Grain Puffed Cereal)
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 Tbsp ground flax seed (I used wheat germ instead)
1/4 cup dried fruit (I used raisins)
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used 62% cacao chunks)
1/3 cup syrup (I used agave)
1/2 cup peanut butter ( I used natural chunky)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla (I also used 1/2 tsp almond extract)
A few pinches of salt1: Mix cereal, oats, wheat germ, dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate in a bowl and set aside.
2: Heat agave/syrup over medium-low heat. Add nut butter, cinnamon, salt, and extract. Melt, stirring occassionally to prevent burning.
3: Add the melted mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Let it sit and cool off about 10 minutes, until it begins to stiffen.
4: Pour into a pan and press even. I used a 9x9 pan and got 12 bars approximately 1.5x3x.5 inches.
5: Let the mixture cool completely. Cut into bars. I wrapped mine individually in aluminum foil and put them in a air-tight container for storage and easy picking.
These were very good, though crumbly. That's part of the reason I put them into little foil packets. The other is so that I can grab and go easily, and take them to work to replace the Hershey kisses I've been into. Everyday at around 3pm I know I don't want to be at work anymore, I have too much to do get out by 5, and pop a little chocolate to make those last few hours a little more bearable. And I actually like my job, most of the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These sound good! An afternoon pick-me-up is a good thing at work!