twd: Toasted Coconut Custard Tart


I have found there are two kinds of people in the world. Those that don't like coconut (aka 'them people') and those that LOVE it. Put me in the love category please. In fact, when a kid and asked "what's your favorite food?" I often replied "Coconut." I like it all kinds of ways, including toasted in and on top of yummy custard and sweetened whipped cream. Yum. Thanks to Beryl of Cinemon Girl for this week's TWD pick.

I had a really hard time keeping my fingers out of the custard before popping it into the fridge overnight. I probably lost a whole mini tart right there. I halved the recipe and put it on top of toasted oats instead of pastry. I just couldn't get myself to make a pie crust just for me, and I wasn't about to share coconut custard. Even if I planned to, I knew it would disappear. So I made two mini tarts in ramikins. The sweetened whipped cream on top is great. I left out the rum, which probably would have cut the sweetness. I didn't mind, but it was awfully over-the-top sweet.

3 comments:

Beryl said...

This custard was so addictive- I could not stop eating it. Glad you're a coconut fan. Thanks for baking with me?

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea to serve it on toasted oats! That sounds delicious!

Cakelaw said...

I'm a coconut fan too - I licked the pans (waiting til they'd cooled, of course!).