Baked Pinto Beans with Sweet Potatoes

This dish is adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. On my last trip to the store, with the Fall weather just beginning to find its way down, I got a little optimistic in the dried bean section - pintos and black beans, lentils and chickpeas! Perfect for soups and cold weather feasting. Of course, it's back in the 80s here this week, but I still wanted to break out the beans.

This recipe is really great, and could be used to stuff tortillas or as a side. I've been eating it with salad and it makes a great pairing, although it's giving me a craving for cornbread.

Baked Pinto Beans with Sweet Potatoes

1 bag of dry pinto beans cooked
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 small sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 Tablespoon virgin olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the tomatoes in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish. Add the sweet potatoes. Add a little water until the liquid covers most of the sweet potatoes chunks. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
2) Remove the foil and add the beans, cheese, seasoning to taste, and oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Cool a few minutes before serving.

It was so good that I forgot to get a picture before it was all gone, but still wanted to share the recipe. I'm sure I'll be making this again this winter.

No comments: