twd ~ Nutty, Chocolately, Swirly, Sour Cream Cake

This week's post is chosen by Jennifer of Cooking for Comfort.

This cake knocked my socks off! It was a very pleasant surprise.

The name intrigued me, but also made me a little wary. Nutty, chocolately, swirly, and sour cream all in a bundt cake? Sounded high maintenance. But it turned to be very simple.

I substituted yogurt for the sour cream, and went heavy on the swirl spices, nuts, and chocolate chips that get layered in the batter. I quartered the recipe and baked it in a mini loaf pan. It was the perfect amount.

It smells lovely baking! Not just normal baking good, but licking the air good. It's an incredibly moist cake with a nice crispy top. I put in two layers of swirl. Perhaps I was being dense tonight, but I didn't quite understand Dorie's directions for making an indentation in the batter with the back of a spoon in the middle of the bundt cake pan...don't bundt cake pans have a hollow center? So I just did two layers - simple and it got the job done.

11 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks luscious! Nicely done.

Flourchild said...

I love this recipe too..I have made this cake a dozen times using my Grandmas recipe! I loved the chocolate in this one! Yours looks so good! Im glad you loved it too!!

alvarosa said...

looks sososo moisty! wonderful!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Yummy! Almost looks like you topped it with ganache! :)

Jennifer said...

YUM! This cake looks fabulous!

Thank you for baking along with me!

Jacque said...

I agree, it was a very pleasant surprise. Yours looks really good and I like the idea of using a loaf pan.

Bella Baker said...

so glad you enjoyed it -- I did too!! Especially that yummy swirl!!

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks devine - and you are right, this cake knocks your socks off.

Unknown said...

Your little loaf looks great - I think you did the right thing in making your swirl layers. The indentation thing didn't work so well for some of us!

Hindy said...

"licking the air good" - I second that description! Lovely cake.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

All your filling only makes it more appealing. I thought the filling was delicious.