Bon Appetit's French Toast Bread Pudding might even be enough to get me out of bed on a Saturday morning! The recipe was so tantalizing that I immediately jotted it down and made it on a lovely Saturday morning while visiting my mom. It was perfect with our first, and second, pots of coffee. Of course, I had to play with the recipe and ended up modifying it quite a bit.
1 large loaf of French bread with crusts,
torn into 3/4-inch pieces
3/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon (preferrably saigon cinnamon)
1/2 cup of chopped and toasted pecans
1 banana, cut lengthwise
2 Tbsp of brown sugar
- Butter an 11X7X2 - inch glass dish.
- Put bread in dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milks, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pecans to blend. Pour over bread and lightly press down bread to moisten.
- Cover with foil and chill at least an hour.
- Place in a cold over. Set to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil. Place banana pieces on top and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Return to oven uncovered and back until the pudding is puffed and golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve fresh from the oven with warm Karo or maple syrup.