It may look a bit like a pizza, but it's more like a pie.
VEGGIE CORNMEAL PIE
1/2 head of broccoli
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used a cobly + jack combo)
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of milk
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup of white or yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 handful of toasted pinenuts
1/4 cup of onions
1/4 cup of mushrooms
1/4 cup of small shrimp
1/4 cup of spinach
1/4 cup of corn
salt, pepper, creole seasonings
- Steam or boil broccoli until almost done. Rinse in cold water.
- Whisk together cheese, yogurt, eggs, oil, salt, pepper and seasonings.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and baking powder.
- Fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.
- Pour into a well-greased iron skillet, or other baking dish*.
- Sautee mushrooms in a one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Do the same with the onions, adding 1/2 tablespoon of sugar, until they are glassy.
- Combine the mushrooms, onions, pinenuts, shrimp, spinach, and corn. Layer on top of the cornmeal batter and smooth over.
- Bake 30-40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 360 degrees F until golden on top.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly, cut, and serve.
*I used two iron skillets to make this, however, in the future I will probably use one deep dish iron skillet. There is something about cornbread coming from an iron skillet that just seems right. You could use any cake or loaf pan as well.