Tuesdays With Dorie: WHITE ARBORIO RICE PUDDING

I love pudding. All kinds. So I was a bit excited about making rice pudding for TWD. I love the idea of making it with arborio rice, the kind probably most famous for risotto. Its short, stubby thickness worked really well for the pudding, and I will definitely use it in other rice pudding recipes.
Dorie listed two possible varieties: white or black (vanilla or chocolate). Chocolate rice pudding? I'm not so sure about that one, so I stuck with vanilla and added drunken cranberries and crushed almonds. Delicious! I just made half a recipe so it was a nice little treat waiting in the fridge when my mom and I returned from an afternoon (and evening) of shopping. It was our perfect little ending to a fabulous day.

I ran into a small dilemma when I went to steep the cranberries. I'd never before steeped dried fruit in alcohol and wanted some guidance on it. I googled and searched but found nothing. I tried to use what common sense I have and soaked the fruit in the sherry, then drained it. It added a lovely though strong sherry taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drunken cranberries and almonds!? LOVE IT! That sounds so good!

Engineer Baker said...

Cranberries, almonds, and sherry? I'm there! Rum works really well in rice pudding too :)