twd ~ Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream



Katrina of Bakings and Boys! picked Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream this week. It's a perfect pick for the heat wave we've been having!



I followed Dorie's advice and used dark chocolate - 88% cocoa to be exact. I added a pinch of sea salt to the mix before I put it in the ice cream maker. I couldn't actually taste the salt, but I like a little with dark chocolate - it seems to take away any bitter aftertaste. I halved the recipe, but only used one egg (instead of two) for the custard. I was making next week's oatmeal breakfast bread to take to work and only had two eggs. I could have gone to the store but...couldn't quite make myself. The ice cream was still delicious, just a bit icier than I think it would have been otherwise. I also used coconut milk instead of milk and cream. I think this would be great with caramalized nuts thrown in!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Interesting idea to add salt - it's important in a lot of baked goods, but I never thought of adding it to ice cream.

Katrina said...

What great changes and your ice cream still looks perfectly creamy and delicious!
Thanks for churning along with me this week!

Tia said...

yours is a little melty, just the way i like it! sometimes I even microwave ice cream to melt it a little before digging in.

Cristine said...

Your ice cream looks fantastic!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

LOVE chocolate and salt together - yum! Yours looks wonderful! :)

Shandy said...

Delicious looking chocolate ganache ice cream! Using sea salt sounds wonderful and you already made next week's TWD; you have been busy =).

Anne said...

I like the changes you made to the recipe- I'll have to try the salt trick next time!

Paula said...

I didn't realize salt would take the edge off of chocolate. I'll have to try it.

Katy said...

Yum! What a great idea to add the sea salt.

Judy said...

Your ice cream looks and sounds delicious. I always throw in a large pinch of kosher salt when I'm making the ice cream base; it helps cut the sweetness.

Bella Baker said...

your ice cream looks great! I thought this was an amazing treat!

Lillian said...

Mmm, caramelized nuts.

Pamela said...

The nuts do sound pretty fabulous. And I love that cute dish you served it up in, too.